Monday, January 30, 2006

Wailing wall

Update: I'm bumping this post up because I had some funky brackets in it originally that hid some of the dialog.

This doesn't really fall into the "cute" category, but here goes:

So I'm sitting with my 6 and 4 year old girls, trying to explain why Rabbi Yehuda HaNassi committed the oral law to writing in the form of the Mishnah when it was clearly forbidden to do so (I told you it wasn't cute).

When I get to the part about the Beit HaMikdash (Holy Temple) being destroyed, the 4-year-old starts bawling.

Me: Why are you crying?

4: Beit HaMikdash!

Me: ?

6: She's sad because the Beit HaMikdash was destroyed.

4: (continued crying, now with nodding head)

Me: Well, you know, the Rabbis say that those who cry for the Beit HaMikdash will merit to rejoice in it.

4: (smiles slightly)

6: (Starts to look sad)

Me: What's wrong with you?

6: I want to cry, too.

(6 later asked me if she'd be able to see the Beit HaMikdash if she didn't cry - I assured her she would.)

6 comments:

Ralphie said...

I forgot to mention that just before we went to Israel last year, when 4 (then 3) found out that she wouldn't get to see the Beit HaMikdash, she burst into tears. So it's not like this was news. (Of course, at the Western Wall all she cared about was finding some ice cream.)

Ayelet said...

6: I want to cry, too.

I feel the same way.

Kiwi the Geek said...

It doesn't have to be funny. Sometimes kids say really profound things.

Ralphie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kiwi the Geek said...

You can use angle brackets by typing < for the left one. The right one will be okay. You might have to type them in the "edit HTML" window of the post editor, instead of the "compose" window.

Kiwi the Geek said...

Oops, that should be ampersand lt semicolon.