Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Out of the Mouths of Adults...Who Were Once Kids

Yes, believe it or not, I was once a kid. I did and said interesting things like my kids do. I don't think my mother wrote them down, but she remembers some from time to time and relays them to me, as does my dad.

* Something I've heard over and over and OVER is the fact that the first real "sentence" I'd utter when I was probably around 2 1/2 or three was: "I want Coca Coca." My father loves to repeat this, telling me that when we'd be out on a road trip and would stop at a gas station that had the old Coca Cola (glass bottle) dispensing machines, that is what I'd say.

Interesting, 'cause I think I became somewhat of a Pepsi gal over the years.

* I was about 4 or 4 1/2 years old and was with my family and my aunt/uncle and cousins in Alabama, in Gatlinburg at some kind of mountain chalet or recreation center. I recall a huge wooden cathedral ceiling in this place and there was a band playing music. Apparently I walked up to the bandleader and asked if they could play "Hello, Dolly!" My cousin who's about 53 loves to remind me of this story whenever he sees me. (I still like the song a lot, by the way.)

* Throughout my growing up years, and still today, I was never too confrontational; I didn't really know how to have a fight, whether it be a verbal one or a physical one. When I would try to fight physically with my brothers, it looked like something from a Three Stooges scene, with me closing my eyes and continually slapping my brothers, one hand atop the other in quick succession.

And when I was really angry with one or both, I stood there and boldly looked them in the eye, and announced: "I'm so mad! I'm going to....mess up your bed!" And that's what I'd proceed to do: just toss around the bedspread and pillows that had been so neat and in their place.

Talk about anger management...

2 comments:

cruisin-mom said...

you were one tough kid!!! lol

Tzafra said...

Here at Ulpana, they take us to Stratford every year to see a play. This year it was Hello Dolly - I thought she was the most hilarious old yenta I'd ever seen!