Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Maxim

No, not the magazine. For kid #2's 4th birthday party, we baked a heart-shaped cake and iced it with pink frosting. She was wildly excited about this cake. Ecstatic when we brought it out at the party as the kids sang Happy Birthday. Thrilled when she blew out the candles.

And then she started bawling. Crying so hard that I couldn't understand what she was saying as she tried to explain. When the kids had all but finished their pieces, she finally managed to tell me that she was upset that the beautiful heart had to be destroyed.

So, for the first time in my life, I used the phrase "You can't have your cake and eat it, too" literally.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd say that 4 years old is about right to learn that lesson.

Ayelet said...

Oh, that's really heart-breaking! I do hope you also validated her feelings of loss that she no longer could enjoy having her beautiful cake.

Ralphie said...

Once she decided to dig in she was fine.