Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Acorn Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree

This one is actually about me. My great-aunt Boba has a collection of stories about me as a child. That she will repeat to any and everyone that she meets. Whether they know me or not. She says I was something of a psycho toddler.

So every Saturday we went to her house for Shabbos cholent. And in those days, when I was about 3, my cousin Yossi was about 11, and he used to be in charge of bringing up the soda from the basement. Back then, they would deliver bottles of soda to your house. And they'd also deliver big bottles of seltzer that you'd have to shpritz into your glass. So that was Yossi's job.

But he wasn't very good at it, and more or less every time he would shpritz and it would go just about everywhere except for the glass. Why they continued to let him do this, I'll never know. But every single time he did this, my Aunt Boba would yell, "Cluuuuuummmmsssssyyyy!!!!!"

And that continued week after week, a part of the Shabbos ritual. I didn't think there was anything unusual about it, so I was surprised one Shabbos morning when I asked my cousin, "Yossi, may I please have a glass of Clumsy?" and the whole room erupted in laughter.

No comments: