Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Dreaded Talk

Discussion while sorting laundry...

Iguana (age 10): Abba, why don't boys have to wear swimming suits?

Abba (age 40): Boys do have to wear swimming suits.

Iguana: Na-uh, they wear swimming pants. Why don't they have to wear whole suits like girls?

Abba: Oh. Um.

Iguana: ?

Abba: Be...cause....girls have to....

Iguana: ?

Abba: Cover up...their....

Iguana: ??

Abba: ...cover up...their...girl...parts.

Iguana: Oh. Well my [DELETED]

Abba: I see. Well, that's something I didn't need to hear.

Iguana: Mommy says that when your [DELETED] it means you're going through puberty.

Abba: She did, did she?

Iguana: What's puberty?

Abba: Yah. Puberty is when...you start changing from a kid...into more like a grown-up.

Iguana: Oh, so you suddenly start talking about politics all the time?

Abba: Riiiight.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, come on! That wasn't sooo hard, was it?

Kiwi the Geek said...

You held off that conversation till the age of TEN? Sweetie's been learning about "grown-up ladies", since she was three! Very curious, that girl.

Aren't doctors supposed to be cool with talking about all that stuff?

PsychoToddler said...

Ayelet: Surprisingly, yes it was.

Kiwi: I was hoping not to have that conversation AT ALL. That's like, Mrs. B's department. I get to tell the boys why they need to start using deodorant and to go against the grain when they shave.

I can talk about this with patients all the time. I have trouble talking to my daughter about it.

But I think she was just messing with me.

Kiwi the Geek said...

Sometimes I forget how smart your kids are. She's only ten, but she's aware of what makes you uncomfortable and can exploit that. Don'tcha wanna just say, "Kid, you are too dang smart for your britches!!" Hahahahaha!

Anonymous said...

Messing with you? Gee, I wonder where she learned to be a wiseguy? :) :) :)

Sheyna said...

LOL! I can almost hear that conversation as I read it! Seems to me, we've had some similar conversations in our house, though between Oldest Son (days shy of 6) and me (Eema, age "older than six"). :-)

Ezzie said...

I feel your pain...!