- <distressed> There's a moth inna kitchen!
- Don't worry about it.
- It's a really big moth! I want you kill it!
- Moths won't hurt you.
- It's freakin' me out!
- Okay, show me where it is.
- Look, right there! (the moth is a half-inch across, big deal)
- <going closer>
- <aghast> Don't touch it!
- How can I do anything if I don't touch it? Settle down.
<I put my toe close, Sweetie squeals, moth doesn't move, I pick it up>
- It's dead, silly.
- <sympathetically> Aw, poor moth.
This reminds me of another episode over a year ago:
- Why can't you go out in the hall?
- There's a spider.
- It's a dead spider! (for the tenth time)
- No, it's sleeping!
- <hearty laughter>
For a few days after that, our bedtime story was about Jesus resurrecting the little girl. We very much enjoyed the similarity between Jesus' words and Sweetie's.