Thursday, January 18, 2007

Life and Death

Almost every Sunday, the kids and I travel along the Jackie Robinson Parkway (a.k.a. the Interboro) en route to my mom and dad's house in Brooklyn. Sari (4) and Ada (2) have a habit of shouting "cemetery!" as soon as the headstones along the parkway come into view. Sari has been enjoying this ritual for quite some time and is thrilled to see that Ada has joined her. Last week, she seemed a bit more thoughtful:

Sari: Mommy, when I die, can you bury me next to you?

Me: Honey, that's not going to happen for a very, very long time so I don't think we have to plan about that yet.

Sari: I know, I know. But when I die, could you bury me next to you?

Me: Sure, okay.

Sari: And Daddy and Mordechai and Ada, too?

Me: Yeah, sure. But you know that's not going to happen for a very, very long time when we're very, very old.

Sari (clapping her hands, gleefully): Yay! We're going to be all together just like now! It's going to be so much fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny how kids' logic works, doesn't it? I remember being about 4 or 5 years old and insisting to my parents that I had been at their wedding, even though I wasn't in the pictures. When they tried to explain that I wasn't born yet, I insisted that yes I was, I was just getting food when the pictures were being taken. My little mind couldn't imagine that my parents *gasp* had a life before I came along!

Cute kids!

-Hila