Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Nursery grammar and arithmetic

Sari's nursery was visited by mice today. In a cage, thankfully. It was part of a lovely program they're having where every week Adina brings another animal to talk about. Last week was the guinea pig. So Sari was telling me all about today's visit. An excerpt:

Sari: We had a mouse today in school. Adina said it don't bite so don't worry.

Me: Oh, that's good. What color was it?

Sari: They were white.

Me: They? Was there more than one mouse?

Sari: Yes, three.

Me (seizing the teachable moment): Mmhm, three mice.

Sari (patiently demonstrating the math concept with her fingers, and simultaneously attempting to explain the irregular plural form of mouse): No, no. You say two mice, one mouse - so that's three mouses!

Update: That weekend, I read the newsletter sent home to the parents that describes the weeks events. Turns out there were only two mice! She thought there were three because....two mice, one mouse!

3 comments:

Ezzie said...

That's what happens when kids are too smart. :)

have popcorn will lurk said...

My three-year-old is catching on to the mice/mouse thing right now. His thing right now is, "nonono!" and then he repeats exactly how I've told him to say something. :) Neither of my kids went through the terrible twos - but three? OY!

Thanks for your grammar post! I am loving 'meeting' more and more more people thanks to the RenRebs's blog. (Hey Ezzie - GO CAVS!)

I just posted a long story about my 3 yo - come check it out! Stinker. LOL...

have popcorn will lurk said...

BTW... I CAN spell. I just can't type. ;)